Saturday, August 25, 2012

Starting from the center of the maze

If you ever really want to make your life complicated, try eating healthy.  I mean REALLY healthy.  Let me warn you, the food industry and the FDA make this very difficult for the average American consumer.  (If I had my own private chef planning and cook meals  for me, and if I could afford said chef, things would be much more simple!)  There are toxins, chemicals, and unhealthy additives in nearly everything we eat.

If you want to make your life even more complicate, get tested for food allergies.  This is especially true if you are already experiencing symptoms such as digestive issues, fatigue, mental fogginess, headaches, and just about any other malady known to mankind.  I had been eating healthy, a "clean diet," and gluten free for over three months when I decided to get tested for food allergies to see if that would help clear up my acid reflux and migraines.  That's when my relationship with food got really complicated.

I won't go in to all the details, but I have sensitivities to gluten/wheat, eggs, and whey protein.  I have an overgrowth of yeast in my digestive system and I have a parasite (not contagious, thankfully).  Gluten free isn't all that difficult, I'd been doing fine for the past three months.  Removing eggs from the equation made it more difficult.  Removing all forms of sugar and anything that your body turns in to sugar (white rice, potatoes, fruits) is what really, really made things complicated.  The Candida Diet is not for the faint of heart.

For a fun exercise, go through your cupboards and look to see how many products you have that contain eggs.  (Soup, for example.  Chicken wild rice soup, with egg whites added for protein.)  Now try and see how many items you have in your pantry that are gluten free, egg free, sugar free (there are more than twelve different forms of sugar, including artificial), AND preservative free.  Not so fun, right?

So this blog is my way of keeping track of my journey out of the food maze and in to good health, while still attempting to preserve my sanity.  I plan on recording the good, the bad, and the ugly- just to warn you.  My sincere hope is that by doing this I can help someone else through this journey.  For the next three months I will be on the Candida Diet, after that if all goes well, I will simply remain gluten/egg/whey free.  I'm guessing by that point, being "only" gluten/egg/whey free will indeed be "simple."

Wish me luck, pray for me, let me know if you have any good Candida Diet recipes!
Thank you and God Bless~ Jenni


No comments:

Post a Comment