Vegan Pancakes (Candida Diet approved!)
2 TB. chia seed meal + 6 TB. hot water (egg replacer)
1&1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 TB. arrowroot powder
1/4 cup Xylitol/Stevia blend (I use my own 60/40 blend.)
1 TB. vanilla extract
2 tsp. almond extract (optional)
1/4 cup of water to start, plus up to 3/4 cup additional liquid to thin batter
- Make egg replacer by mixing the chia seed meal and hot (but not boiling) water. Set aside while mixing other ingredients and allow mixture to gel.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- After egg replacer has gelled, add remaining wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add extra liquid (I used coconut milk) to batter until is resembles normal pancake batter.
- Using a table spoon from the silverware drawer, scoop one spoon of batter onto griddle and use spoon to spread batter around to thin pancake.
- Cook until edges brown and pancake bubbles. Flip pancake and allow to cook until it rises and then collapses. This is how you know the inside of the pancake will be fully cooked.
- Serve with Coconut Manna and crushed almonds or other sweeter nuts.
Makes approximately 20 small (2-3 inch) pancakes.
PS. Many thanks to my in-laws and my hubby this weekend for all their support, encouragement, and culinary knowledge. They helped me improve a couple of my recipes and answered many cooking related questions. Most of all, they enjoyed the food that I can eat right along with me- from purchase to prep to plate. It's really nice to be able to share what I am doing with others who are willing to try something new!